Roasting Hatch Chiles
I grew up in Portales, New Mexico and these Hatch, NM chiles were a staple! They are the backbone of my New Mexico Green Chile recipe and are also wonderful on a cheeseburger! You'll find lots of Hatch Chile recipes here!
Recipe Notes1. Light your outdoor grill and heat to medium high.
2. Wash and drain your chiles, then spread them out on the grill.
3. The smell will be amazing...great time for a beer!
4. Roast and turn the chiles until they are charred on all sides.
5. Remove chiles as they finish and place in paper bag on top of a baking sheet. Keep bag closed and let them steam for at least 30 minutes.
6. Remove each chile and drop into ziplock bag and immerse in ice bath. Once completely cooled, rub the chiles between your hands inside the bag to remove the blackened skins.
7. Discard skins, then slice open chiles and remove membrane and seeds.
8. Stack up roasted chiles and then bag in ziplock bags to freeze, or chop to use right away.